Yes, your dog can benefit from cannabis oil, too.
Dogs are often considered part of the family: our fur babies.
But, let’s face it: they are a different species.
Despite our differences, however, we do have the same basic requirements when it comes to maintaining good health: nutrition, exercise and rest. And when Fido gets sick or even seriously ill, the veterinarian may prescribe medications and treatments similar to the drugs our doctors would prescribe for us.
Though dogs are not human (even if some of them think they are) they are mammals. All mammals possess the endocannabinoid system (or ECS). The ECS responds to the administering of the cannabis sativa plant in various forms.
How CBD oil differs from marijuana
Hemp and marijuana both derive from the cannabis sativa plant, but they do possess significant differences. A marijuana plant must contain between .5% and 30% tetrahydrocannabinol or THC. If the cannabis plant possesses less than .3% THC, it falls under the category of hemp.
Cannabidiol or CBD represents one of the hemp’s plant most healing and useful cannabinoids. Additionally, unlike THC, CBD does not contain any psychoactive properties, so CBD will not produce the euphoric or stoned feeling associated with marijuana.
CBD oil represents one of the most common and useful of the CBD products. CBD oil derives from different parts of the hemp plant and uses different methods of extraction to obtain the oil or serum from the plant. The most common extraction methods include macerating the plant material in a carrier oil such as olive or almond oil for several weeks, and CO2 extraction which uses oxygen to extract the oil.
How CBD oil works with the endocannabinoid system
All mammals have an endocannabinoid system or ECS. The ECS was not discovered until the 1980s when the research was conducted to figure out why cannabis seemed to help so many different ailments and symptoms in humans. The ECS relies on a series of small endogenous molecules which exist in all parts of the body and its systems to achieve balance or homeostasis.
The ECS penetrates C1 and C2 receptors at the cellular level to signal through the DNA to stop the production of acidic products responsible for pain and inflammation and other adverse symptoms.
The ECS suffers compromise when poor lifestyle choices or inherited conditions begin to take their toll. The lifestyle of a dog or other pet relies on the judgment of the owner. So, we do not do our pets any favors by overfeeding them, giving them inappropriate treats or not ensuring proper physical activity.
Cannabis and specifically CBD may assist a compromised ECS due to the fact the cannabis plant possesses the same system as the ECS. The ECS in the cannabis plants keeps it healthy and promotes growth.
Important things you should know about CBD oil and your dog
- CBD oil does NOT contain any significant amount of THC. Therefore, your pet will not get high.
- CBD oil should be considered medicine. You should make sure it does not interfere with other medications, prescribed and otherwise administered. Higher doses of CBD especially may impact the way the liver metabolizes different drugs.
- CBD oil may decrease pain in your pet by utilizing the ECS.
- By working with the ECS and reducing inflammation, CBD oil may help the symptoms of arthritis and other autoimmune conditions in dogs.
- Though the idea that CBD oil fights cancer in dogs needs more research, it undeniably helps cope with the adverse side-effects such as nausea and anxiety caused by conventional treatments such as chemotherapy.
- If your pet has irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) or other digestive problems, CBD oil may help considerably with these types of ailments. The CBD targets the CB2 receptors to reduce motility.
- The dosage of CBD oil impacts the effects of the product considerably. Check with the manufacturer or vet to achieve the correct results. Start with a conservative dose and increase the amount incrementally and slowly to obtain control of the symptoms.
- Quality matters. Make sure your CBD oil has no harmful additives, pesticides or mold and possesses an adequate amount of CBD.
- If your vet prescribes medical marijuana, CBD oil will help neutralize the adverse effects of THC.
- Though the legality of marijuana varies from state to state, CBD oil enjoys a legal status in all 50 states.